Friday, January 18, 2008

The Pain

One thing that took me by surprise was the facial pain associated with B.P. One doctor referred to it as "ghost pain," but I personally think it was muscular pain associated with disuse (similar to lying in one position all night while sleeping very deeply and waking up "stiff"). It was so uncomfortable that I could not bear to lie on my right side with my face touching anything. Today, 7 1/2 months later, this pain still persists, but is very much diminished.
My B.P. onset was June 6, 2007. In late 2006, I first met my chiropractor because I was experiencing severe jaw spasms and extreme pain on the right side of my face. After the B.P. struck, I realized that the pain was similar and have since wondered if the two episodes were connected.

Did you have any medical events or physical traumas that you could look back to and wondered if or how they related to your B.P.? Please share your experiences below.

4 comments:

Lydia said...

Thank you so much for being willing to educate the rest of the world on this. I know someone who went through this with her first child. Keep encouraging others!!
BTW- I'm Lydia, new member at church! Feel free to visit my blogs.

Anonymous said...

I am on day 6 of my Bells Palsy - counting from the day my tongue went numb. I have the steroid and anti-viral prescription and today I do not think I looked worse for the first time this week.

I was wondering how your progress is going? Are you better now? Still have pain. I read somewhere on the internet that the pain can mean the nerves are healing and movement will follow. I would love to read an update if you have time to post.

Unknown said...

Jane,
How are you doing now? Would you be willing to share more of your story?
Best,
Sarah

Unknown said...

Hos is my progress going? Well, I am truly thanking God for such a good recovery!
I still occasionally have pain (when I need to apply pressure to my face, although there is no pain when just lying on a pillow, etc., unless I am truly exhausted. (Get too tired/stressed = body is weaker in general = weakest areas are most sensitive, i think)
I'm dealing with some residual paralysis, likely due to disuse of facial muscles during the B.P. episode and am interested in non-invasive remedies.
But overall, I am 99% back to the way I was before June 5, 2007. (I was going to say I'm back to normal, but what is normal, really?? ;)